We have recently received an official notice of a safeguarding concern dating back to 2021. IMMAF takes all matters related to safeguarding extremely seriously and has immediately taken the following actions:
- Set up an investigation, which will be carried out by a fully independent individual with support from IMMAF.
- Pending the conclusion of this investigation, a national team coach has been suspended from all IMMAF events.
- Conducted a review of the IMMAF Safeguarding policy with a new version of the document circulated to all IMMAF federations.
- Written to all federations to remind them that they are responsible for the vetting of coaching staff and should ensure that part of their certification includes safeguarding training (including revalidation of these qualifications).
- Reminded IMMAF Federations that other support staff that work with young people, should also be vetted including officials, medical staff and chaperones.
IMMAF would like to reiterate that it will tackle all cases related to safeguarding with urgency, seriousness and sensitivity. IMMAF’s safeguarding policy can be downloaded here:
IMMAF also encourages anyone involved in the sport of amateur MMA to contact IMMAF directly for any concerns related to safeguarding or other ethics related matters. This can be done in strict confidence. IMMAF’s Whistleblowing policy can be downloaded here:
Until the independent inquiry is complete, IMMAF will make no comment and urges federations and other members of the MMA family to avoid actions that could interfere with the investigator’s work and prejudge any decision. This decision will be communicated publicly as soon as the investigation is complete.