[Member Session] Evidence Based Weight Management in MMA
- Wednesday 21 April 2021, 14:00 hrs
Following on from Monday’s public, cross-sport panel on Athlete Weight Management in Sport, an exclusive member-only session has been added to Wednesday’s schedule, delving deeper into the subject as it applies to MMA.
This second session, Evidence Based Weight Management in MMA, will examine:
- the current evidence of the influence of weight cutting on success in amateur and professional MMA;
- the negative physiological consequences of extreme weight cutting in MMA;
- and how this process can be better managed by athletes, coaches and teams to support long term fighter health and performance.
There will be opportunity for questions and answers at the end.
Session speakers are:
- Dr Carl Langan-Evans PhD ASCC SENr – Research Fellow in Applied Sport Physiology and Nutrition at Liverpool John Moores; nutrition consultant to a range of athletes including current UFC fighters.
- Ben Crighton MSc – PhD student at Liverpool John Moores University researching the effects of weight management on performance and health in sport.
- Christopher Kirk MSc CSCS – Lecturer of Sport and Exercise Physiology at Sheffield Hallam University; PhD student at Liverpool John Moores University, researching the development of a performance coaching framework for MMA.
Information about how to register for all Seminar Week events is being emailed out to National Federations.
See the full IMMAF Technical Seminar Week schedule listed here: IMMAF | 2021 Technical Seminar Week
REGISTER FOR PUBLIC EVENT HERE:
Athlete Weight Management in Sport – thought leadership panel discussion
- Monday 19 April 2021, 17:00 hrs UTC +1
- Register here: https://app.livestorm.co/immaf/discussion-on-athlete-weight-management
Weight-cutting is one of the biggest risks to athlete welfare in mixed martial arts but is not an issue distinct to MMA, impacting a range of mainstream sports. In this panel discussion, experts from across sport will share their experiences and learnings to promote awareness and provide recommendations for safe and effective weight management that can be practically applied by athletes, coaches and administrators.
The panel discussion will be followed by an opportunity for questions and answers.
- Paula Radcliffe MBE – British Olympian, long-distance runner; previous holder of the Women’s World Marathon Record.
- Dr. Mike Loosemore – Commonwealth Games Chief Medical Officer, Team England boxing doctor, former AIBA Medical Commission member, Safe MMA.
- Dr. Randa Bascharon – IMMAF Medical Commission; ringside physician (Nevada State Athletic Commission, USA Boxing, IMMAF and the US National Muay Thai Association; American Association of Professional Ringside Physicians member).
- Clint Wattenberg – Director of Nutrition at the UFC Performance Institute.
- Kerrith Brown – IMMAF President and judo Olympian
- Panel Moderator: Michele Verroken – Sporting Integrity, IMMAF Anti-doping Consultant
For enquiries, contact – [email protected]