Main picture: Hocine Mesboua (Algeria), IMMAF Director Wissam Abi Nader, Africa Union Chairman Avinash (Mauritius), IMMAF President Kerrith Brown and IMMAF Africa Director, Raymond Phillips at formation meeting in Bahrain, November 2019.
The International Mixed Martial Arts Federation (IMMAF) is proud to announce the creation of its first Area Committee in Africa.
The African Committee is will be the first of a global network of representative bodies to help deliver IMMAF strategy and goals more effectively at national level.
IMMAF President Kerrith Brown said:
“This is a key strategic development for IMMAF and proves that our organisation has reached a mature stage of its development. Our African Committee, made up of representatives from IMMAF African member federations, under the supervision of IMMAF Africa Director Mr Raymond Phillips and Avinash Ramtohul as Chairperson, will work with us to develop the sport in that continent. The local needs and priorities of MMA are best understood by those on the ground. IMMAF will support each new Committee as they develop their own structures and plans.”
Amongst the priorities of IMMAF’s Africa Committee will be:
– To promote Amateur MMA in Africa in a way that benefits African IMMAF member federations
– To assist in the development of training methodology and pathways for coaching and officials’ education
– To provide administrative and communication support to members
– To support national efforts to gain recognition of Sport Ministries and National Olympic Committees
– To organise African events and competitions
– To provide an ethical framework of good governance and counter any methods and practices that go against IMMAF standards and guidelines
The full statutes of the African Committee are now being finalised as is the entire Leadership team, communication platforms and new logo.
“I am very excited to see a shared vision and goals for the development of our sport in Africa,” said Kerrith Brown. “The creation of our first Area Committee is just the start. IMMAF is looking forward to rolling out our programme around the world in 2020.