Coach education and certification program
Coaches are the backbone of any sport and good coaching practice is vital for its growth and development. Therefore, «coaching the coaches» remains one of IMMAF priorities.
The IMMAF Coach Education and Certification program exists to help coaches develop the best level of competence, gain presentation and teaching skills and acquire a sound knowledge training methodology.
The aims of the IMMAF Coach Education and Certification program (CECP) are:
2.1. To set the standards for coaching practice in amateur MMA world-wide
2.2. To help coaches develop /acquire an appropriate level of competence, including technical level
2.3. To regulate coaching practice and ensure that continuous professional development is in place and that coaches remain informed of the latest developments and trends in the sport.
The IMMAF Coach Education and Certification program (CECP) is the three-tiered progression in coaching competency. Levels 1, 2 and 3 correspond to the specific part of the participation pyramid – beginners, advanced and elite performance athletes.
In order to work successfully at a high level, coaches need to develop a sound knowledge of training theory, methodology, psychology and other aspects of the contemporary scientific approach to coaching.
On the other hand, working with the beginners and young participants calls for a no less sound knowledge of growth and maturation, age and gender related peculiarities of the human physiology and understanding the Long-Term Athlete Development (LTAD) concept.
The IMMAF Coaching Certification Program respects national educational standards and will adhere to all compulsory policies and requirements in the field of physical education and sport in a particular country (First Aid, Child protection, Equality in sport, criminal records check, etc)
Scope of IMMAF coach competency
(subject to endorsement by each National Federation)
Coach Level 1 (Bronze Award)
The coach shall have a minimum technical grade of Green Belt to;
- be able to confidently deliver the MMA Progression scheme up to the level of Green Belt
- be able to occasionally run training sessions according to given plan and stand-in for senior coaches in their absence
- be able to grade the club members up to the level one degree lower than his own grade (Yellow and Orange)
Coach Level 2 (Silver Award)
The coach shall have a minimum grade of Purple Belt to;
- be able to confidently deliver the IMMAF Progression Scheme up to the level of Purple Belt
- be able to train and develop both recreational and performance level athletes and offer them individual development programmes
- be able to run medium-term training programmes in the club
- grade club members up to the level one degree lower than his own grade (up to Blue)
- be able to deliver the youth development programmes
Coach Level 3 (Gold Award)
The coach shall have a minimum grade of Black Belt to;
- be able to confidently deliver the full IMMAF Progression Scheme.
- be able to plan and run the long-term training programmes
- be able to grade the club members up to Brown Belt level
- be able to prepare the athletes for competing in the international events und
- be able to manage the national team members during their performance in the international event
For further information and course bookings contact:
IMMAF Director of Development